Dads can be difficult to shop for. How many ties, sweaters, and mugs can they use? When you have a special bond with your dad, you do want to give him something he will really appreciate and perhaps something a little unusual. Have you thought about giving him back his smile? As we age, our smiles get affected by:
· Chipped or broken teeth
· Discolored or stained teeth
· Misaligned, irregularly, or uneven teeth
· Spaces between our teeth
· Worn down teeth
Give your dad back his confidence and improve his self-esteem with the gift of natural-looking veneers and an award-winning smile.
Although veneers are an aesthetic procedure, it is also a serious dental procedure. Make sure you send him to a cosmetic dentist, like Dr. Stanton,who has a thorough understanding of how the biological, chemical, physical, and technical components work together to create a beautiful smile.You want to be sure to choose an experienced cosmetic dentist so that your veneers are done properly and the best materials are used. When done right, they will look natural.
What are Veneers?
Veneers are thin pieces of porcelain that fit over existing teeth. They are stronger than natural teeth and durable enough to last for decades. They are used to protect damaged teeth and restore them to their full functionality.
Veneers can be customized according to your liking by changing or minimizing whatever you don't like about your teeth. Getting veneers doesn't involve any risky surgery. Innovations in technology make it even easier to apply veneers. Veneers generally last between 5 and 10 years. If they aren't taken care of properly, they might need to be replaced sooner.Many of Hollywood's brightest smiles are a result of veneers. This trend is growing both inside and outside of Hollywood.
The first step is your initial consultation with a cosmetic dentist to discuss your specific situation and your desired results. Once you decide to move forward, your teeth will be prepped where some of the enamel from the surface of your teeth will be removed. The amount of enamel will be the same thickness as the veneer that will be added to your tooth surface. Your dentist might use a local anesthetic to numb the area and minimize any discomfort. Then an impression of your teeth will be made so that the veneer will fit properly.
Some dentists require a few visits, whereas the latest and most innovative technology will be able to fabricate their own porcelain veneers and complete the process in a single visit. The veneer will then be placed on your tooth while the dentist examines its fit and color. Any necessary trimming will be performed to make sure it's a perfect fit. Before the veneers are permanently bonded, your teeth will be roughened, polished and cleaned to ensure a strong bonding process.
Caring For Veneers
Besides getting a great smile, once dental veneers are applied to your teeth, they don't require special care. You should make sure to continue practicing good oral hygiene by brushing and flossing. Try to avoid using abrasive toothpaste to minimize the chances of scratching the porcelain. You should also continue seeing your dentist for regular professional maintenance. Here are a few things you should also do to protect your veneers:
· Even though porcelain veneers are stain-resistant, the adhesive used to attach them is not. Drinks like soda, coffee, red wine, berries, tea, and beets can cause your veneers to look yellowish or become darker. Try to avoid or minimize your consumption of these foods and drinks.
· Grinding your teeth can cause damage to your veneers by wearing them down, just as they can cause damage to your regular teeth. Consult with your dentist for ways to stop grinding your teeth.
· After spending the money to give your dad a great smile, if he is active in sports, suggest that he wear a mouth guard or other protection to keep his veneers safe.
· If your dad bites his nails or chews on pens, suggest that he stop. Besides being nasty habits, doing so can damage the porcelain of his new veneers.
· Smoking is an unhealthy and bad habit for everyone. If you dad smokes, besides the obvious reason for quitting, make sure he is aware that continuing to do so will also cause his brand new veneers to become discolored and stained.
Giving your dad porcelain veneers will make a tremendous improvement in his appearance, confidence, and give him a great looking smile. What better way to show him how much he means to you by giving him this unusual, loving, and unique gift for his birthday?